ORGANISATION NAMESAPIENZA University of Rome
RESEARCH FIELDFormal sciencesHumanitiesNatural sciencesProfessions and applied sciencesSocial sciences
CAREER STAGEFirst Stage Researcher (R1) (Up to the point of PhD)
“Sapienza” University of Rome offers 30 three-year-full-time postgraduate PhD positions with fellowship for attaining the degree of “Dottore di Ricerca” (PhD) in the Doctoral Schools listed here: https://www.uniroma1.it/sites/default/files/field_file_allegati/appendix...
Each fellowship amounts to € 19.800,00 per year; this amount includes national insurance contributions (INPS) that fellowship recipients are required to pay.
The fellowship does not cover any possible annual entrance fee and does not increase for research periods spent abroad. Mobility is allowed only for a country other than that of origin.
The PhD Programme lasts three years. At the end of the first and second years of attendance, students will be evaluated as proficient according to the rules of the Schools.
2. Admission Requirements
Applications are open to candidates who:
- Are not Italian citizens (dual nationality holders are not admitted if one of the nationalities is Italian);
- Have not resided in Italy or have carried out their main activity in Italy for more than 6 months (also non-consecutive) during the 3 years preceeding the expiration date of this Call;
- Have obtained any academic qualification by a non-Italian institution. Perspective students must hold a degree equivalent to the Italian diploma di laurea specialistica/laurea magistrale/laurea a ciclo unico, or expect to obtain it before 31 July 2020. The Academic Board of the Schools will check that each applicant’s qualifications are equivalent to the relevant Italian degree (for the sole purpose of this competition)
3. Selection and admissions
Applications will be evaluated on the basis of the documents listed in 5.2.
- Successful applicants will be assigned to a Doctoral School.
- Each Doctoral School will decide which Programme (of those belonging to each School, see enclosure) to enroll the candidate on the basis of the: i) specific program to which priorities are given on different years; ii) applicant's preferences and interests.
4. Attachment of PhD
Students must attend the courses and seminars offered by their Programme, pass the related examinations and prepare a PhD dissertation, which must have original results.
The PhD title is obtained at the end of the third year after the candidate’s dissertation is complete and is positively evaluated by an independent jury appointed by the Rector.
5. Applications and Dealine
To submit the application candidates should:
5.1 Sign in with a valid email address to http://phd.uniroma1.it/fellowship
5.2 Complete the application form and provide all the following documents:
- A photocopy of their identity card or passport;
- Curriculum vitae et studiorum;
- A copy of the master degree certificate and list of exams with marks;
- A report on any research carried out by the candidate;
- A list of publications;
- A brief statement explaining his/her Doctoral School choice and the candidate’s scientific interests;
- Two letters of recommendation by university professors or eminent researchers/experts of equivalent status;
- Once signed in, candidates can complete the application form in more than one step. When all the requested fields are filled and all required documents are uploaded, candidates can finally submit the form.
- After submission NO further modification to the form will be possible.
- All documents must be written in English and uploaded in PDF format. Maximum size for each document is 5 MB (5120 KBytes). The maximum size for each document is 5 MB (5120 KBytes). No other format will be accepted.
- The Academic Board can ask the applicants to participate to a video conferencing in order to achieve a better evaluation of their aptitude for research.
The Phd Office reserves the right to verify the authenticity of the declarations submitted in the application.
The deadline for submission of the application and the supporting documents above listed is 30 April 2020 at 2.00 p.m. (Italian time).
The University may exclude at any time candidates lacking admission requirements.
6. General Rules
Doctorate fellowships are incompatible with any other fellowship granted by Italian or International Institutions. Fellowships cannot be awarded to candidates who have already benefited (either entirely or partially) from a similar grant provided by an Italian or International Institution to attend a PhD Course.
Unless specific notice on the courses websites, the lessons will be held in Italian.
7. Operational Indications
The list of winners, and of those who may be considered as eligible if places become free, will be published on the official website:
within 12 June 2020.
Successful applicants will find the indication of the deadline for accepting the fellowship on the above-mentioned winners list.
Further instructions to complete the enrollment for the academic year 2020/2021 will be e-mailed only to the winners.
Upon the award of the fellowships, translated and legalized degree certificate with list of exams with the scores obtained and the declaration of validity (“dichiarazione di valore”) of the academic degree should be anticipated by email no later than 30 September 2020, and must be delivered to the PhD Office by 31 October 2020 for enrollment. Both the documents must to be issued by the competent Italian diplomatic representative in the Country where the academic qualification has been attained.
The responsibility for the funding offers published on this website, including the funding description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.