Skip to main content
Living in EuropeDay care, schooling & family related issuesFinland

Family issues


If you are moving to Finland with your spouse/partner and family, it is important to carefully consider the practical arrangements for the family members, so that they would also have a fulfilling and productive stay in Finland. The following information is intended to help make the transition to Finland as smooth as possible for new staff members and their families. 

Language courses

Many universities offer their own language courses to the internation employees free of charge. Here you can find general information about language courses of Finlands official languages Finnish and Swedish.



Citizens of the EU member states can work without any working permits. If you come from a non-EU country and have been granted a residence permit on the basis of family ties you will have an unlimited right to work in Finland. The right to work will also be entered on your residence permit card.

For vacancies:

For general information on working in Finland: